Stockton & Darlington Railway Youth Team (SDRYT) is open to young people aged 10 to 16 (inclusive) and offers members work experience and leisure opportunities.
Work experience and learning opportunities are available to SDRYT members at the following organisations & locations:-
- Bishop Trains, Bishop Auckland
- Northern Station Support Team
- Bishop Auckland Station Adoption
- North Road Station Adoption
- Youth Team Model Railway Display
- Weardale Railway/Bishop Trains Special Trains
- Weardale Railway operations dept (once aged 16)
- Head of Steam, Darlington
- Trackwork Rail Engineering Apprentice Scheme
- Remembrance Garden Bishop Auckland
SDRYT members also have the opportunity to go on educational and leisure visits to railways outside of the local area and also on other organised leisure trips.
Fortnightly meeting/training sessions are held at Bishop Auckland Railway Station.
• To provide opportunities that will give members valuable experience and skills assisting with individual career aspirations.
• To provide young people who are interested in railways and transport with training and work experience opportunities.
• To provide volunteering and educational opportunities for young people in order to develop responsibility, self-discipline and good citizenship.
• Encourage the development of communication, leadership and teamwork skills.
• To provide guidance and instruction on railway activities, both practical and theoretical, stimulating an interest in the rail industry.
• To support the long term volunteering needs of our host organisation partners.
The Stockton & Darlington Railway Youth Team to be the number one railway youth organisation in the UK, regarded as a model of best practice. An Organisation that young people want to join and which is recognised for:-
- The quality of the young people it helps to develop.
- Being recognised and respected as an organisation which is good for the community, youth engagement and the rail industry.
- It’s honest, welcoming, respectful and safe culture.
In order to achieve this the SDRYT is based on the following core values:-
- Respect for others
- Traditional values
To become a member of the SDRYT download the application form and send to:-
Stockton & Darlington Railway Youth Team
c/o Bishop Trains
Bob Hardisty Drive
On health & safety grounds this is not a suitable environment for children requiring special supervision.
The SDRYT was set up in 2007 and consists of young people aged from 10 to 16* and provides members with work experience, volunteering, training and leisure opportunities at a network of railway organisations within the North-East, including Bishop Trains in Bishop Auckland, the Head of Steam Railway Museum in Darlington, Northern’s station adoption scheme (Bishop Auckland & North Road stations), Bishop Auckland Remembrance Garden and Northern's Bishop Line station support group. The team is also linked with Trackwork a locally based rail engineering apprenticeship scheme based in Shildon.
The SDRYT owns a railway carriage that is based at Stanhope station which is home to the team's model railway display and is opened to the public during the summer.
Youth Team members are regularly on duty at Bishop Auckland station helping passengers, selling tickets and keeping the station clean and tidy.
In addition to training and work experience opportunities the group regularly go on day trips and take part in special events. Members benefit from free train travel courtesy of Northern.
Membership is free and a great way to make new friends and do something different. The experience available looks great on a CV and can help with future job applications.
*Must be under 16 years when applying.
To apply simply download an application form and send to Bishop Auckland Railway Station.
Next time you purchase something online,
click the link below and purchase thorugh EasyFundraising.
You pay no extra but for every transaction made through Easy Fundraising, a donation is made to the Stockton & Darlington Railway Youth Team.
For more information on fundraising,
get in touch via the contacts page.